Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Loan process/pre-construction meeting

Our loan officer has been more proactive lately. We did have a hiccup though, when he initially emailed me on the 12th, he stated all of the items he would need to process the loan--including a $550 check for the appraisal and credit report. When we spoke on the phone that day I told him that the check would come directly from the bank and that I would do so that immediately, and he even sent me the address to where the check would be mailed to. Well, since he decided to wait to send me the link to access my loan documents, he received the check before I could sign them. He emails me on the 21st stating that I would have to cancel the check and issue another one--and issue for me since the check was an official one and if its cancelled I would incur the fee. If he would have just sent me the link to the documents the day he created them (April 2nd), it wouldn't have been a problem when he got the check on the 17th! He decided that he could cash the check and give me back the money, and I produce another check--fine by me. We will clear all of this up when I come up to meet the SR in May.

I submitted my loan application; so many documents needed--tax statements, W-2s, bank statements, copy of my ID card--I killed a few trees for sure! I'm hoping that all goes well and we are able to proceed; he currently has the settlement date as 24 August so maybe that's a good sign :). Our credit is really good, so we really shouldn't have any issues.
Steve was notified that the project manager would like to speak with the both of us during the pre-con meeting, so they pushed it back to May 14th when I am back in the States. At first I was upset that I wouldn't see any progress when I came home on leave from Korea, but now I have come to terms with it. At least now I will feel more involved in the process and the PM will go line by line on what will happen. I'm hoping they will at least break ground before I fly back to Korea on the 25th.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Guardian/CTI Meeting

Steve met with Guardian and CTI on Monday for the wiring and flooring options. We had a list beforehand of what we would like to get, but depending on the prices it would dictate what we actually ended up with.

In the end with Guardian, we got the following:

Surround sound in the family room
High speed flat panel pre-wiring and cable in the family room above the fireplace
Data jacks in the study and loft
Cable in all four bedrooms, loft and basement (two came with the home)
Phone jacks in study and kitchen
Base package security system

In the beginning I was debating on whether I would pay for everything at closing and not have in included in the loan, but since we didn't go with everything on our wish list the payment wouldn't go up significantly with including it in the loan.

The meeting with CTI went well also. Since we picked out the hardwood floors and bathroom tile for both full baths with our sales rep, Steve only had to pick out the carpet. We logged on to Ryan Homes' website that lists the colors of flooring, but the color swatches did not provide a true picture of the actual carpet color. We initially decided on White Fox, but discovered that the color had been discontinued. We went with Dove Shell; I was afraid I wouldn't like it but once I saw a true picture of the color I was excited that Steve picked it out on his own :). Surprisingly, the color was level 1 in their package so no upgades. The carpet padding we went with is 6 lb. The initial flooring for the laundry room was vinyl, but we went back and decided on tile. We are waiting on the color swatches to decide on which one we will get.

Red Oak Cherry beside the Cherry Bordeaux cabinet

Bathroom tile, Dove Shell carpet

Friday, April 6, 2012

Making some progress!

Although they haven't broke ground in regards to the home, at least we are getting somewhere with the appointments. Guardian called early in the week to schedule a meeting with me to discuss the wiring options, but I guess the SR failed to tell them that I am still overseas. I had to direct them to talk with Steve since he will have to make the decisions, and since he's only off on Sundays and Mondays we have to wait until the 16th. Thursday CTI called wanting the schedule an appointment for flooring, and when I told the consultant she would have to discuss with someone else she was hesitant. I asked if it was possible for her to send color swatches of the carpet via email, and was told that they didn't have any. I found that odd considering I know a couple over here going through the same process, and they decided on their flooring and wiring through email photos and telephone conversations. Since she didn't have any other way to give me the colors, she had no choice but to deal with Steve. We were able to have that appointment set for the 16th as well, that way he only has to make one trip from Richmond.

On another note, Steve was offered an internal position with his company that has an office in DC--and they want him to start at the end of the month! I am excited that things are falling in to place, but the next obstacle is for him to find a place to live until the home is complete in August.